Spring is here! The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining and the easter bunny has just come to visit… help keep this holiday a fun one by protecting your pets from these common easter pet dangers.
All parts of the Easter lily plant are poisonous to cats. The petals, leaves, stems and pollen and even the water from a vase of lilies are dangerous. Cats that eat as few as one or two leaves or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure. Tiger, Day and Asiatic Lilies are also dangerous. There is no effective antidote to counteract lily poisoning and the prognosis for your cat is better the sooner you get them to the vet for supportive care. Lilies and cats simply do not mix!
Plastic Easter grass is shiny, crunchy, stringy and probably just all around interesting to a pet. Unfortunately, it can be quite dangerous if it becomes caught up at the back of the tongue or your pet’s stomach. The grass is indigestible. It can ultimately cause severe damage to the intestinal tract and require surgery. Make sure those Easter baskets are put up out of reach if your pets are going to be included in your festivities!
In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. For smaller dogs, even a small amount can be highly toxic. Call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline right away and explain the situation. They will be able to advise you as to what to do next.
Ham or pork roast
Excessive fat content, high sodium content and the binding twine on both of these holiday meats can cause a variety of problems including pancreatitis, neurological problems and intestinal obstruction. Play it safe and stick with foods that were made for pets. Ask your guests to do the same. Feed your pets and give them a place to rest – away from the dinner table. You and your guests will have less begging to contend with and will be able to thoroughly enjoy your meal together.
Bread and Rolls
It is not so much the finished product, but the uncooked dough that could result in an emergency trip to the vet this Easter. When pets (typically dogs) eat uncooked dough containing live yeast, they can suffer a variety of problems as the live yeast becomes “active” in their warm, wet stomachs. Just like it would do when rising in your oven, the yeast turns the sugars in the dough to carbon dioxide and alcohol. The carbon dioxide expands the stomach to the point of discomfort and can block the return of blood to the heart, resulting in a painful and debilitating shock. The alcohol causes a variety of metabolic problems, sometimes thought of as a type of ‘alcohol poisoning.’ Sometimes, the growing dough ball can result in an obstruction of the digestive tract, which may require surgery. Given all of these potential problems,our recommendation is to let your bread dough rise on a high shelf, in the microwave or in a closed oven instead of on the kitchen counter. Keep those counter surfing pets safe!
Happy Easter from the veterinary specialty and emergency team at Animal Emergency and Critical Care Center of Brevard!
ABOUT ANIMAL EMERGENCY AND CRITICAL CARE CENTER OF BREVARD (AECC):
AECC is Brevard County’s most comprehensive group of emergency and specialty veterinary professionals.
We are located at 2281 W. Eau Gallie Blvd in Melbourne, FL . You can reach us at 321-725-5365.
A veterinarian is always on duty and we are open 24 hours a day, every day of the week.
OUR VETERINARY SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
We also offer recovery therapies and special treatments not found at most general practices.
- Advanced Diagnostic Imaging
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
WE PROUDLY SERVE THOSE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA INCLUDING:
- Satellite Beach
- Merritt Island
- Palm Bay
- Vero Beach
- Cocoa Beach
- and all other surrounding areas
For the latest in pet health and safety information or to learn more about our state-of-the-art pet hospital please visit our website at www.CentralFloridaAnimalER.com.